Motivation in Classroom TEFL teachers often work in different
TEFL teachers often work in different countries and face different national students. Sometimes, the students keep silent or show no interest on the course content. How to motivate them in the classroom has become a leading concern for teachers. Through my personal experience and TEFL course study, I find some effective ways as below:
1. The teacher need know about the students' culture background. We know, every nation has its distinctive clothes and food customs, religious belief, value points and so on. If the teacher gets some information and knowledge, he/she can talk about relative topics in the class, especially, in first class. The students are great likely to communicate on these topics. This is a good beginning for following lessons.
2. The teacher must have some ideas about the students' needs and expectation. Because students have different study purpose, like for business job, traveling, immigrating to English-spoken country, etc. Only do this needs analysis, the teacher could plan the lesson according to the students' demands. Once the students find they can learn something useful from the course, they will be ready to listen, think and speak in the class. 3. The teacher should carry out variety of activities in the class. The process of learning language usually is very boring, so some students can't keep their concentration on the course. The teacher needs to conduct some interesting activities in the class, such as discussion on a top book/movie, debate by group, role-play and so on. These activities can attract the students and make them participate happily and actively.
4. The teacher may create an open atmosphere in the classroom. Firstly, the teacher builds rapport with the students. On the basis, give them more time to talk, including asking questions to the teacher, expressing their viewpoints and doing presentation. Generally, change the class from teacher-centre style to student- centre style. Whereby, the students will like the course and can be motivated effectively. Moreover, their creative skills could be improved quickly.
5. The teacher can bring outside world into the classroom. Why' Because the common purpose of studying language is to communicate in real life. The teacher could play VCD in the classroom, let the students read newspaper or discuss on a realistic topic. On the whole, the classroom can become a real community where the students share their ideas and feeling. I think, this environment will motivate them to study more language consciously.
6. The teacher might arrange the seating feasibly. He/she can let the students work in group or in pair. This arrangement will increase cooperation among students. Stronger students may help weaker ones. And some students are shy in front of all class members, but show confidence in the small group. Furthermore, the teacher need change seating from time to time in order to arouse everyone's enthusiasm.
As English becomes a global language, TEFL teachers will face more opportunities. At the same time, challenges will come out. Students' nationality, age, background are so different, we need try our best to motivate them in the class. One critical point is that we must create an attractive classroom where the students like learning English not only for realistic demands, but also for love of this language. Reference: TEFL course materials